Thursday, August 30, 2012

Are you ready for some football?

Well, we aren't really sure if we're ready, but we're doing it!  Jackson wanted to play football last year, but with our hectic lives, we told him he could only play one sport at a time and he had to choose football or soccer. Since he already knew soccer and knew he was great at it, he decided to keep going. Four months after the sign up deadline, he asked to play football. Uh, no, sorry kiddo.  So, I promised him if he wanted to play the next year, he could.

Last March, when the paper came home, he begged me to fill it out right that second and send it in. Well, football is a little more expensive than soccer, so we had to wait a few days, but he was so happy when he knew I sent it. And, the day we tried on the jersey for the fitting? I've never seen him happier!

So, here we are.  I was a little nervous (ok, fine, a lot nervous.) at first. Jackson is 50 pounds on a good day. The weight limit for second grade is 95 pounds. So a kid literally twice his size can tackle him and I'm supposed to be ok with that? I spend years teaching him not to hit and push and fight and then tell him it's ok in football? I'm supposed to... yes, I am.

It's a lot of work on both ends - his and ours. There are two practices and at least one game every week. It has cost over $200 so far in gear and fees. (I know there are some that are far more, I'm not complaining.) It's hot as Hades in the beginning and cold as ice by the end of the season. But, the night before his first game, he said, "Mom, thank you so much for signing me up for football. I love it and I love you!" Worth it all.

So far, we are three games in and are still undefeated. Loveland was 27-7. Indian Hill was 20-0. Mason was 18-6. The Indian Hill and Mason games were played back to back, not even a 5 minute break in between in 95* blistering sun.


I can proudly say I'm a football mom, #72 is mine!


 Playing with his friend before practice started. (They wear helmets in the actual practice.)





No comments: